Independent National Electoral Commission has denied claim made by some Nigerians that it is taking side over the ongoing recall process against Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.
The commission noted that it has been transparent over the exercise, contrary to claim saying that it has been partisan.
Speaking during a show via Channels Television on Thursday, Chief Press Secretary to the Chairman of INEC, Rotimi Oyekanmi, stated that there’s no way the petition can be granted, due to it failure to meet up with constitutional requirements.
READ MORE: INEC Rejects Recall Petition Against Senator Natasha, Says Listed Petitioners Had No Contact Addresses
He said: “In the case of the Kogi Central District, we received a petition and a cover letter and of course what Nigerians were saying was that we were taking sides,” Oyekanmi said on the programme.
“But what happened was that in the covering letter, the representatives of the petitioners did not include their address as required in our regulations and guidelines and what we just did was to ask them to supply their address, it has nothing to do with the petition.
“And of course, there is nowhere in the law where INEC is asked to reject a petition just because the cover letter did not contain the address. So, there was no hanky-panky in what we did.
“The law just talks about the threshold, the threshold meaning that if you want to recall, you must have, in addition to your petition, 50 per cent plus one signatures. The law did not specify how many times you can undertake that.”
Recall that earlier on Thursday, INEC hwd rejected the petition to recall Senator Natasha, saying that it has not met the requirements.
The post “We’re Transparent, Not Partisan In Senator Natasha’s Recall Process” – INEC Tells Nigerians appeared first on Information Nigeria.